Below are resources that can help guide efforts to provide appropriate medical and mental health care for victims of sexual abuse.
- Specialized Training: Medical/Mental Health Care, National Commission on Correctional Healthcare (2013).
- Sexual Abuse in Correctional Settings: What Rape Crisis Counselors Need to Know, The Project on Addressing Prison Rape (2011).
- Medical Management of Exposures: HIV, HBV, HCV, Human Bites, and Sexual Assaults, Federal Bureau of Prisons (2009).
- The Violence Against Women Act: Denying Needed Resources Based on Criminal History, Jaime M. Yarussi (2008).
- Effects of Sexual Assault on Men: Physical, Mental, and Sexual Consequences, Richard Tewksbury (2007).
- A National Protocol for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examinations, Adults/Adolescents, Second Edition, US Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women (2013).
- Standards for Psychology Services in Jails, Prisons, Correctional Facilities, and Agencies, American Association for Correctional Psychology (1999).
- Hope for Healing: Information for Survivors of Sexual Assault in Detention, Just Detention International (2011).
- Sexual Abuse Behind Bars: Serving Incarcerated Victims Webinar, Just Detention International (2012).