Responding to Sexual Abuse of Youth in Custody: Addressing the Needs of Boys, Girls, and Gender Nonconforming Youth
Responding to Sexual Abuse of Youth in Custody: Addressing the Needs of Boys, Girls, and Gender Nonconforming Youth is a training that covers the national PREA Standards and implications for preventing and addressing sexual abuse of boys, girls, and gender nonconforming youth.
- Review the applicable PREA standards for responding to sexual abuse in custody and their gender impact.
- Review the dynamics of custodial sexual abuse for boys, girls, and gender nonconforming youth.
- Identify the components of adolescent development and sexuality and understand their impact on sexual abuse of youth.
- Discuss immediate and long-term medical and mental health care needs of youthful victims of sexual abuse.
- Identify legal, investigative, and other implications and strategies for responding to custodial sexual abuse.
Intended audience: The audience for this particular training is high-level correctional administrators who hold positions of leadership and have the ability to initiate change within the agency. Likely trainees include: commissioners, deputy commissioners, division directors, PREA coordinators, PREA compliance managers, trainers, jail administrators, medical and mental health division directors and/or victim services administrators, and/or community partners (e.g., lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender [LGBT] advocates, community and victim services providers).
Expected length of training: This curriculum is designed to be a 24-hour training. However, we recognize that agencies may not have three uninterrupted days to conduct the training. This curriculum is designed to used in whole, in part, and/or in condensed version. Agencies should feel free to modify per their specific timing and training needs.
Training Objectives (30 Minutes)
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (60 minutes)
- The National Prison Rape Elimination Act Standards
- Data Collection Reports from the Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Final report from the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission
- Reports from the Review Panel on Prison Rape
- The Prison Rape Elimination Act: Implementation and Unresolved Issues
- Uncomfortable Places, Close Spaces: Female Correctional Workers’ Sexual Interactions With Men and Boys in Custody
Adolescent Development (75 minutes)
- Facts for Families
- The Adolescent Brain and Cognitive Development
- Adolescent Emotional Development and Romantic Attachments
- The Complexities of Sexual Decision Making in Adolescence
- Stages of Adolescent Development Chart
Adolescent Sexuality (60 minutes)
- Sexuality Issues for Adolescents with Physical and/or Developmental Disabilities
- Adolescents and Non-consensual Sex Sexuality and Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
- Sexuality and Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
The Impact of Culture—Agency and Youth (60 minutes)
Gender and Victimization (45 minutes)
State Criminal Laws (60 minutes)
- 50 State Surveys of State Criminal Laws on: Staff Sexual Misconduct, Sex Offender Registration, Vulnerable Persons, Mandatory Reporting, Sexual Abuse, Child Exploitation and Malfeasance in Office
- Legal Responses to Sexual Violence in Custody: State Criminal Laws Prohibiting the Sexual Abuse of Individuals under Custodial Supervision
- Legal Responses to Sexual Violence in Custody: Sex Offender Registration Statutes: Impact on Addressing Sexual Abuse in Custodial Settings
- Legal Responses to Sexual Violence in Custody: Using Existing State Mandatory Reporting Statutes to Improve Disclosure of Sexual Violence in Correctional Settings
Policy (75 minutes)
Medical and Mental Health of Victims in Custody (75 minutes)
- A National Protocol for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examinations
- Psychiatric Disorders of Youth in Detention
- State Sexual Assault Coalitions
- Assessing the Mental Health Status of Youth in Juvenile Justice Settings
- The Violence Against Women Act 2013
Operational Practices (60 minutes)
Gender Implications for Investigations (120 minutes)
Human Resources and the Impact of Gender (90 minutes)
- Sample reference waivers- for this resource email [email protected].
- Report by the Office of the Inspector General: Enhanced Screening of BOP Officer Candidates Could Reduce Likelihood of Misconduct
- Memorandum: Anti-Fraternization Policies
- Labor and Employment Law: Tools for Prevention, Investigation and Discipline of Staff Sexual Misconduct in Custodial Settings
- Policy on Worker Relations Helps Ensure Office Integrity
Legal Liability and Gender (90 minutes)