The U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) has announced the fiscal year 2022 site-based grant program: Implementing the PREA Standards, Protecting People Who Are Incarcerated, and Safeguarding Communities. BJA is seeking applications for projects designed to prevent, detect, and respond to sexual abuse and sexual harassment in confinement facilities, and to achieve and maintain compliance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) standards.
The objectives of the PREA Grant Program are to:
- Reduce sexual abuse in confinement facilities.
- Increase staff capacity for preventing sexual abuse in confinement facilities.
- Promote integration of the PREA standards into the day-to-day operations and cultures of confinement facilities.
- Identify and document innovative and promising practices in order to inform similar efforts across the nation.
- Create cultures of “zero tolerance” of sexual abuse in confinement facilities.
Applications are due in Grants.gov by May 19, 2022 and JustGrants by May 23, 2022.