The National PREA Resource Center (PRC) Field Training Program (FTP) offers direct field auditing experience — in a supervised and supported environment — for PREA trainees who are seeking certification by the Department of Justice (DOJ). The goal for this program is to strengthen trainees’ PREA auditing skills, increase trainees’ experience with the PREA auditing process and methodology, enhance trainees’ understanding of the PREA standards, and provide trainees with an opportunity to become familiar with and use the audit tools and other documents. Experienced auditors, as well as DOJ and PRC staff, facilitate the field training audit and offer guidance and mentorship during every step of the process.
The training audit will replicate the PREA compliance audit process with pre-onsite, onsite, and post-onsite audit phases. Trainees will perform all aspects of the audit with guidance and direction from experienced auditors.
Training audits will take place at selected FTP host facilities between October 2020 and June 2021 (pending DOJ conference approval). Benefits received by host facilities participating in PREA training audits include:
- Guidance and support from certified PREA auditors throughout the entire training audit;
- Access to PREA subject matter experts to address implementation challenges;
- Assistance, tools, and resources to prepare for a PREA compliance audit;
- Familiarity for staff with the PREA compliance audit process;
- A written assessment with findings of compliance and corrective action recommendations on 18 PREA standards pre-selected by the PRC as the most challenging for many facilities undergoing an audit; and
- Free targeted training and technical assistance at the conclusion of the program to further enhance and sustain PREA implementation.
While participation in the program requires staff time and the use of facility resources, such as space and equipment, there is no financial cost to facilities for participation in this unique training opportunity. Visit the testimonials page for comments from previous FTP host facilities on how the FTP helped them.
In an effort to provide the most meaningful training experience, the PRC will consider facilities:
- Ideally with an average daily inmate population between 100 and 500;
- That possess the demonstrated capability (i.e. adequate Internet access) to complete an online pre-audit questionnaire;
- With onsite medical and mental health services;
- That are within 50 miles of a major airport;
- That are within 10 miles of a hotel that will provide accommodations at the government lodging rate; and
- That have the ability to accommodate the transportation needs of the audit team.
A signed statement of support from the agency director who oversees the facility (or his/her equivalent) will be required. This statement should indicate that the agency director (or equivalent) is supportive of the facility's participation in the FTP.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: The application for host facilities for the 2020–2021 training audit cycle can be accessed here. The deadline for submission is October 28, 2019, 11:59 A.M. EST.
If you have any questions about the Field Training Program, please submit a Contact Us form.
Note: Participation in an FTP training audit does not substitute for a PREA compliance audit.