PREA Legal Landscape Series: Part 3 - Prosecution of Sexual Abuse in Custody
The PRC is proud to announce the PREA legal landscape webinar series with Professor Brenda V. Smith of Smith Consulting, former commissioner for the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission. Beginning in February 2021, this webinar series examined how PREA has altered the legal landscape for stakeholders affected by the Act and its Standards, by examining the following topics: prisoner litigation, employment litigation issues, and prosecution of sexual abuse in custody. Agency and facility leaders as well as certified PREA auditors will benefit from this series.
The third and final webinar in the series examined the criminal prosecution of perpetrators of sexual abuse of victims in custody. This webinar also explored the following questions:
- What investigation processes and evidence collection have led to prosecution and conviction of staff and incarcerated perpetrators?
- What roles do PREA training and education play in the detection and prosecution of these perpetrators?
- What are some best practices in working with prosecutors and law enforcement when agencies refer cases for prosecution?
- Learned the criminal justice landscape after PREA: laws across the country criminalizing sexual abuse in confinement settings.
- Learned how to employ training and education as effective tools in the detection and prosecution of sexual abuse.
- Learned best practices in agency responding to the prosecution of staff for sexual abuse.