This publication is a tool for educating inmates about legal and other mechanisms, including the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), that can provide protection and redress from sexual abuse in custodial settings.
This handbook provides information on the following subjects:
- The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA) and the National PREA Standards.
- Sexual abuse in custody by staff and other inmates.
- Dynamics of sexual abuse in custody.
- Reporting and factors affecting inmates’ decisions to report.
- Medical and mental health needs of inmates who are victims of sexual abuse.
- Inmates’ rights under the Prison Rape Elimination Act and the National PREA Standards.
- Resources for seeking help or interventions after incidents of sexual abuse or harassment.